What Would You Do If You Weren't Afraid? - The Kentologist

What Would You Do If You Weren't Afraid?

Several weeks ago I posted this question to my Instagram account, (formerly @kentstagram_, now @thekentologist for consistency), to which I received some honest, interesting, and very inspiring responses.  I would be a filmmaker. A Navy Seal. A lead singer of an alternative band.

Mine? "I'd probably become a teacher."



If there is one thing I talk about the least, but think about the most, is dedicating my life to the most noble cause I can think of, educating young minds with the intent to foster individual and critical thinking. After all, I come from a family of educators: my mother is a kindergarten teacher turned...SuperEducator (I'm pretty sure that's what the title should be), my grandmother a Sunday School teacher, my grandfather a Pastor and Bible instructor-- not to mention my younger cousin who just recently graduated college and will be teaching 5th grade in her hometown. I can't think of anyone in my family who has not shared their expertise and given back through teaching in some form. It's in my blood.

But if I can be totally honest, although I have a line of educators in my family, I was never encouraged to become a teacher myself. While I do enjoy being gainfully employed in a career that supports my academic studies, I still feel that I'm missing a key ingredient that makes people love what they do. I believe it's called P A S S I O N .

I read an insightful book called So Good They Can't Ignore You, by Cal Newport, which debunks the passion theory. For some legitimate reasons, it explains why not to fall into the "do what you love" mentality, but rather "learn to love what you do." But I think each of us has individual, unique traits that we inherently possess that cannot be ignored. If not, then instead of writing this post I'd forever be engaged with the ongoings of work, forcing myself to find pleasure and happiness where there are only voids. I think there's a better way.

I was given my first "official" mentoring gig in the 8th grade as a mentor to incoming 6th grade girls through a program called "Girl Power". From there, I've sought after every other mentoring, tutoring, or coaching opportunity I could find. It has always been the most rewarding experience (other than being a mom, which is in a similar category, I suppose).

If I weren't afraid, I'd take my strengths as a coach, a mentor, a listener, a helper, a friend...as someone who genuinely wants to see our youth curious about the world we live in...and put them to use.  That is the goal I'm challenging myself the hardest with in the coming year.  This isn't a post about what resolutions I have set for the new year. In fact, I've already started preparing for them. In 2015, I WILL see those goals come to fruition. 

Below is a collage of just a few things you will see come from me, The Kentologist, in 2015. Stay tuned...






What do you all think of the new name? What topics would you like The Kentologist to cover in 2015? 


4 comments:

  1. Toya!!! Thank you for this post. It hits me in the pit of my stomach. And it's a question that we should ask ourselves. I am so guilty of this... burying the innate calling that I have on my life to do the things that will sustain security and.... and.... the big goals that I've always had for myself. But to your point, those goals don't always fill us up on the inside. They don't always make our hearts dance and have us running back for more. Thank you for being the voice that counters "reason." You are awesome! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this, Casey! I think about it every day I come in to work and all that needs to be accomplished. The more long-term goals won't be reached where I am, but it will all come in due time with a definite focus of course. I also think we were ingrained with a hunger for that security. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it; it just can't be all that we have and all that we are.

      Delete
  2. Amazing! If I weren't afraid, I'd probably start my own non profit. I've been there before, and it's a lot of work. I love all of the work I do now... We shall see though...... Don't count me out yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you all the best when you do decide that it's the course you want to take. And please keep me updated on your journey!

      Delete

 

Instagram: @thekentologist

Popular Posts