I jumped.

This post is long overdue.  But in a weird way, I think the timing is just right.

It's been a little under two months since my last post and I've missed writing for The Kentologist.   I'm eager to share with you (on a personal level) what I've been up to.

1. Latoya Dixon Photography

This past weekend my little brother Natondi asked me, "What inspired you to be a photographer?"  I smiled and hesitated.  My brother and I are 13 years and 8 months apart and there are moments when we talk that I just have to stop and wonder where my baby brother went. He's now inquisitive about my passions and aspirations and can very well articulate his own...that just makes me feel very ancient.
Latoya Dixon Photography (LDP) is another one of my creative outlets, in addition to my own personal writing reflections. However, I spend more time shooting than I do writing.  What started out as my taking fun photos of my son, Kent grew to me taking photos for others and their loved ones, and is now turning on more light bulbs of ideas and inspiration. I seriously need to jot them all down as they come.
LDP is growing at a wonderful pace that allows me to continue being Kent's mom, Lee's fiance, and keeping my "day job".  I've come to meet so many new faces from referrals and other photographers who are talented out of this world.  What I've appreciated most are the more established photographers who have graciously lent their time and/or ears to coach and mentor me through some of my questions, concerns, and technical inquiries.
My love for kids photography is taking off! And I can't wait to share what's next up my sleeve.  You can check out my new website, here.  I am currently running a mini session special, so if you're in need of some photos for you or your family, book at info@latoyadixon.com!



2. Tondi Collective

On April 26, I launched my online kids' boutique, Tondi Collective.  Tondi Collective is an online marketplace that promotes and sells the works and goods by women and other minority small business owners.  If you remember awhile back, I wrote a post called "Just Go".  Tondi Collective was the goal I had in mind when I wrote that post and I am proud to say that it is now LIVE!  The current selection features small brands of kids clothing and apparel, some that have been featured on The Kentologist, including Kaan's Designs, Wild Trio, and Two Sparrows Headbands.  Stay tuned for  more brand features coming soon!
Tondi Collective made its first debut at the Miss Naturally Crowned Carolina pageant.  We sold some products, but most importantly made some new friends and networked with fellow small business owners.  I'm loving how our network is growing, but there is still plenty of work to do!  My goal for Tondi Collective is to not only support the brands that I love, but show my follower base the importance of knowing where your everyday items come from!  We have so much creative talent right in our own backyards, families of real people (not corporations) who work hard for every item sold, every dollar earned.  How great it is to know that your hard earned money goes to someone working just as hard upon their own resources.  Imagine the economic impact if even just 1% more of our dollars were circulated back through our own communities!  Tondi Collective will remain online for now.  You can sign up for our newsletter here to receive news, updates, and discount codes before they are released to the general public.  Tondi Collective's next stop will like be at the Bump, Baby, and Kidz expo in Columbia, SC.



3. Work/School

Some of you may know that for the past year and a half I've been on all three different shifts due to the program I was on with my job; I'm currently working 2nd shift (3pm-11pm).  It's the perfect shift for a single person in my opinion.  I have a lot of free time in the mornings, most of which I spend with Kent, handling business for Tondi Collective, and editing photos.  I get home when Kent is asleep and Lee is making his way to the bed.  I usually wind down about 1:30/2 am, or earlier if I've had a rough night.  A few weeks ago I worked 3 weeks straight of 12 hour shifts (and before you nurses or other long shift workers roll your eyes at me, hear me out) and it did a number on me.  I was also preparing for the launch of Tondi Collective, while also scheduling, shooting, and editing photo shoots, in addition to finishing up a class for grad school (90% group work...you know how that goes).  There was one weekend that my class assignment due dates and promise dates for clients all fell on the same day and I really wanted to just throw in the towel.  Needless to say that I was overspent in commitments, which didn't set me up to be the best Mom/fiance at home. But, by God's grace, I made it! It's true that you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.  I have my weaknesses like anyone else. And I really have my family to thank for continuing to be supportive and complement the areas where I fall short.  I'm not back to "normal" and always trying to sneak in work every second I can.

I'm happy to be writing again for The Kentologist.  In my absence, I've spoken to a few women who have warmed my heart to tell me that they enjoy reading it. Thank you!

So what's next for this busy mama? Just improving my brands and getting better at what I love to do.  Time, for the most part, is an illusion.  Don't let your responsibilities clout your creativity and diminish the light inside you.  I believe that somewhere deep down in these dreams I'm pursuing is a true calling. I will keep pressing on!

Continue to get [stuff] done, yall!

xo,
The Kentologist




2 comments:

  1. Ah, thanks for catching us up! :) I had no idea you were in grad school - that's awesome!!! And you do it ALL with such grace and passion!! I can take a few pages from your book, friend. Lol. Thanks for sharing your light - it touches the heart in ways you may not realize. I'm so grateful to know you.

    (P.S. 1 week countdown for the cruise..... eeeeeek!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, I nominated you for a Liebster award! You can read all about it on my blog:

    http://hereweeread.blogspot.com/2015/05/liebster-award-nomination.html

    ReplyDelete

 

Instagram: @thekentologist

Popular Posts