My Top (Photography + more) Apps - The Kentologist

Recently, I've had a few questions regarding photo editing software and other apps that I may use on the pictures I post on my Instagram account.  Truth be told, I don't use any (what I consider) professional editing software like Photoshop or Lightroom. I have not committed myself to serious photography and learning how to do any amazingly creative post-editing. I'm lazy and iPhone apps usually get the job done to my satisfaction.  Please note that I am not a skilled photographer and this is not a technical review, so don't download these and expect masterpieces. Good pictures, as I'm learning, are less about your editing, and more about how well you know how to use your camera and understand how to work with light.


In this post I will share my favorite iPhone apps: primarily for photo editing, but a few other non-photography related ones I use quite frequently as well. The best part? They're all FREE!






#1
VSCO cam
While you can use this app to take better photos in which you can control things like focus, shutter speed, and white balance (similar to the settings you'd change while shooting in manual mode on a regular camera), I just stick to the filters. The variety of filter combinations is great if you're wanting to branch out from Instagram's small selection.  These filters bring a very classy and elegant touch to your photos.   Check frequently as there will occasionally be some free offers.

Displaying IMG_0990.JPG
Original photo
Displaying IMG_0994.JPG
With vsco cam filter/edits










#2
Snapseed
Apple | Android
Snapseed is another easy-to-use photo editing app that has a wide range of automatic settings.  You won't find as many filters here, but they don't compare to vsco cam's anyway.  When I open my pictures in Snapseed, my go to settings are DRAMA, TILT SHIFT, and SELECTIVE ADJUST.  You can get really creative in Snapseed, especially with lighting and composition of your photos.  I recommend this app if you want to give your photos a really distinctive face lift from a raw image.



Displaying IMG_0727.JPG
Original photo
Displaying IMG_0732.JPG
With Snapseed Drama filter + Select Adjust brightness edits













#3
BeFunky
Apple | Android
For awhile, I gave up on BeFunky as it seemed so cluttered and hard to navigate. Since then they've updated the app to a much more simple user interface. BeFunky also offers some pretty cool filters, especially in providing a range of black and white filters.  You can also add text, overlays, and stickers to your photos. The SHARPEN function under 'Edits' is what I use most when I come to BeFunky.




#4
InstaSize
Apple | Android
Not every picture you take will crop nicely when you force it to a 1:1 dimension. InstaSize, although there are other apps that do the same, is my go-to for resizing an image to fit on Instagram.







#5
PicsArt
Apple | Android
Okay, this isn't really in my top 10, it was in my 'Photography' folder on my phone.  I used to only use this app for collages. It gave some really simple layouts and allowed you to change the sizes of the borders. But when I opened it up again, I discovered a lot more than I'd remembered it offering before. PicsArt is another creative editing tool with filters, effects, drawing capability, borders, and shapes...you name it.  I think you could get carried away with all the options it has.




NON-PHOTOGRAPHY APPS

#6
TimeHop
Apple | Android
Who doesn't love a trip down memory lane? TimeHop is a fun way to see your past life events, as told by your social media posts by displaying what you've posted x years ago today.  I've seen some pretty embarrassing Facebook statuses I've written and have become nostalgic over early college photos.  TimeHop also shares historical (mostly pop culture) trivia along with your personal stories.
Displaying Image-1.jpg
Kent & his Auntie, Niq








#7
Mint
Apple | Android
You're a grown up now. You should be doing grown up things. And using grown up apps. Like Mint. Mint is a very user-friendly budgeting and expense tracking app.  I use it to guilt myself every month for going over on my clothing budget (no, not for my closet). You can really see where your money goes each month and monitor your trends.  Mint also gives you tips on how to save and what alternative types of accounts may be beneficial to you based on your spending activity.  Most recently, Mint is providing a FREE CREDIT SCORE. I highly recommend this app.



#8
Credit Karma
Apple | Android
Before I learned of Mint's free credit score, I relied on CreditKarma's free report.  CreditKarma is better in that it gives you detailed descriptions on why you rank in your particular credit category, how much of a factor it plays into your overall credit score, and offers suggestions on what you can do to improve it.  I may be unlike most of my peers, but I learned all I know about credit and how to establish and maintain good credit from sites/apps like CreditKarma.  This is that stuff they don't teach ya in school.



#9
Peak
Apple | Not available for Google Play/Android systems
Don't forget to exercise your brain. Give Social Media and reality TV a break every once in a while to keep your brain in shape.  Peak offers you to set goals in different categories ranging from Memory, Language, Focus, Problem Solving, and Mental Agility. Track your progress and see how you match up against yourself and also those in similar age groups and professions.  The "workouts" are captivating and challenging. I always get hooked trying to beat my own scores.

Displaying FullSizeRender.jpg  Displaying FullSizeRender.jpg



#10
My Days
Apple | Android
Um...I'm just being honest here.  This is MY list, right? Haha! Females can't go wrong with a menstrual cycle tracker. Because sometimes you need to plan around Aunt Flo, sometimes you need to track certain changes with your body, but all the time you just need to make sure you're on schedule for one reason or another. It's been pretty accurate for me so far. And if you're wondering...no, I was not using this app 3 years ago when Kent was conceived. :P




Are you using any cool apps that you'd like to share? Let me know in the comments.
All icon/logo images from Google Images.



2 comments:

  1. Very good points you wrote here..Great stuff...I think you've made some truly interesting points.Keep up the good work. Instasize Online

    ReplyDelete
  2. Download All Apps APK
    I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post.

    ReplyDelete

 

Instagram: @thekentologist

Popular Posts