KaAn's Designs - The Kentologist

Thanks for stopping by to learn more about KaAn's Designs. Please enjoy this exclusive interview discount of 10% using code: KAANSDESIGNS. Offer expires 12/31/2014!

When I first saw the "Short, Dark, & Handsome" tee by KaAn's Designs, I HAD to have it. It didn't matter that the smallest size they carried at the time was 2 sizes bigger than what Kent could fit.  Since then, I've been following the company on social media, awaiting the next design to purchase.

KaAn's (pronounced Can's) is a little company based out of Indiana, ran by a husband (Kenny, the K) and wife (Ashley, the A) duo that makes hip tees for little trendsetters.  Their designs are inspired by their boys Aiden (the other A) and Noah (the N).

kaan's designs

kaan's designs

Each piece of KaAn's Designs apparel is hand-printed on American Apparel tees, which means it's soft to the touch, sweatshop-free, and made in the USA.


1. What inspired KaAn's Designs?
I am a lover of words and I’ve always loved a tee with a message.  I find it to be a beautiful art of self-expression.  Why wear your heart on your sleeve, when you can paste it across your chest.  Sometimes you’re “feeling yourself” and you want to wear something that affirms your self-esteem.   Other times it’s a quote from your favorite song or the latest catch phase.  My favorite is sharing the Word and love Jesus. 
It was exciting to find the Instagram community of others that believed in the self-expression art of “the tee”, but the some of words needed to express my boys and their “message” was missing.  So, KaAn’s was born.  
Each of our tees is inspired by my boys and our lives with them.  Aiden (4) was born with this effortless style.  He chooses his outfits most of the time and has the most amazing spirit with a vintage soul to match.  Noah (15 mos.) is my little firecracker that will make you smile with so much joy, and then make you want to pull your hair out all within a 10 minute time span.  But I love how unpredictable he is. Every day with him is beautiful surprise, no matter how easy or tough. I love being able to share bits of them through our designs. 
2.     When did you launch? What challenges have you faced since?
We launched in late August 2014, in these short 3-4 mos.  We have had so much support and for that I am thankful! Everyone has been amazing!  In the beginning one of the challenges we faced was with the versatility of our design.  One of our 1st designs was (the now popular) “short dark and handsome” tee. Being that our t-shirts are inspired by ours and Aiden is in fact “short, dark, and handsome”, we thought maybe he could pay his rent for the month by modeling for us and introducing KaAn’s to world.  I was completely taken back by the response. 
We received SO MANY questions and messages from people that liked the shirt, and its message but were concerned if their son could wear the t-shirt because their son was not as dark as the boy in the photo (Aiden). 
Some of the comments included, “Cool shirt, but is it just for black boys?” and “My son is biracial, but he’s not super dark, not sure if I can order it for him.”  I never anticipated receiving this response.  I have always heard of the phrase “Tall, Dark, and Handsome” being attributed to men who are attractive with dark features.  Most of the time men praised with this title in movies and magazines are Caucasian. 
I truly thought that “short, dark and handsome” would be a universal phrase, a message for all handsome dark featured little boys to wear.  During our introduction, it was not received that way.  After gaining Brand Reps and presenting the tee on various shades and races, the tide has turned.   But that was definitely a challenge to overcome and one we will be mindful of in the future.
3.     What's your favorite Kaan's Design piece?
Of course, I love them all, but right now I am really digging the “All Things” Raglan.  I love the simplicity of the message “All Things” and subtle reminder of Philippines 4:13.  Great verse for littles and bigs to know and keep close to their heart.   As my kids go about their day I want them to remember they really can do All Things through Christ which is their strength.
4.  Other than KaAn's Designs, what do you both do for a living?
Oh, how I can’t wait until the day I can love on KaAn’s all day, but until then I am a High School English Teacher. I’ve been teaching for about 6 years now.  I do love teaching and working with the youth of America, but the politics and policies of education are no fun.  The idea of KaAn’s was born shortly after giving birth to Noah, during which time I was able to walk away from the classroom for a year and spend time at home with my babies.  Being a stay at home mommy was VERY hard, but I loved it.
My husband was working for the Mayor, and decided he needing a change (again with the politics) and is moving into pharmaceutical sales. 
5.  How do you manage your careers, marriage, kids, AND business?
It definitely requires balance and unfortunately a lack of sleep.  But there is so much passion behind this little business, that it makes it all worth it.  There is a trail of post-it notes and doodles around the house with ideas to come back too.  Every free moment is devoted to KaAn’s and truly is a family effort.  Our son Aiden even shares t-shirt ideas, pulling quotes from his current movie choice that always spends a week on rotation (Parents you know I mean.  Seems like they get stuck on one movie and it’s all they want to watch for a week).    It has been a fun adventure. 
6. What are your family's values?                        ‘
Love.  We love each other with all that we have. 
7. Favorite Holiday (Thanksgiving or Christmas) tradition
A couple of years ago we adopted the “Elf on Shelf” tradition.  Our Elf’s name is “Mile”, and he is our favorite part of Christmas.  I’m super excited for him to make his appearance this year. 
8.     Share a fun fact.
Our oldest son Aiden was born with a tooth.  It is extremely rare, and  non-threating, but still a bit strange.  I was stocked when the doctor told me shortly after delivery.  I was immediately concerned, but was assured it was nothing to be concerned about.  The doctor was actually smiling, because he had read it could happen, but had never seen it.  He said “it was his lucky day”.  I also learned that teeth are actually developed while in the womb and come out during teething.  That tooth is still hanging around. So while most 3 and 4 year olds have 20 teeth, Mr. Cool is being awesome with 21J

Kent rocking some KaAn's Designs tees:
kaan's designs
kaan's designs
kaan's designs
kaan's designs
kaan's designs
kaan's designs
kaan's designs

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Instagram: @thekentologist

Popular Posts