Sharaé Moultrie - The Kentologist

Happy Friday! I'm a little late to the party, but March is officially Women's History Month.  But you know we celebrate women every day around here, whether or not a post is shared.

Today, I'd like to celebrate a beautiful soul.  Her name is Sharaé.  Sharaé and I went to school together at the University of South Carolina, pledged the same sorority (Alpha Kappa Alpha, Sorority, Innnnnnncorporated), and served our community together through other organizations. I could go on and on to sing her praises on her beauty, intellect, and selfless spirit. She took some time out of her important schedule to share with us about what she does and an organization that she has a passion for:

sharae moultrie the kentologist


§ Tell us a little about yourself.
§  Sharaé Moultrie
§  25 years old
§  I am a business management associate at JPMorgan Chase. I facilitate the development and implementation of effective metrics and reporting which helps senior management drive business decisions. I'm also on the leadership team for two of JPMC's employee networking groups - one related to volunteerism and the other professional development for employees of African descent.

§ Where are you from?
§  Conway, SC

§ What do you like to do for fun?
§  I recently reclaimed my love for singing. I’ve performed in a few small venues in the city and have joined both a pop a cappella choir as well as my church choir. Singing frees my soul and brings me so much joy!

Click picture for video


§ What's one challenge you face at work?
§ Because I work for such a large and dynamic company, things are always changing. One of the constant challenges I face is managing and adapting to that change.  Prior to my current role, I was a part of a rotational program in which I worked with a different team every 6 months – talk about change! Management style, team culture and responsibilities all varied. Moving into my current role, I thought things would be a bit more stable; however within a few months I learned that the organization would soon be undergoing a major reorg and that my boss would be transitioning to another team (without me).  Because of my prior experiences, I have been approaching this change as an opportunity to learn, grow and get me one step closer to the purpose God has for my life. Everything happens for a reason.  

§ Tell us a little about the organization you’re involved with.
§  The Actors Theatre Workshop (ATW) is an amazing arts nonprofit that teaches an original creative technique that ignites change and liberates human potential in a wide range of programs, classes, and theatre productions. ATWempowers people from all walks of life from business executives, to theatre artists, to homeless children and provides them with the tools to develop a positive vision for their future. My involvement has primarily revolved around the Builders of the New World (BNW) program, a 12 week afterschool arts program which has transformed the lives of over 2,250 homeless children since its inception in 1995. Throughout the program, the children are given one on one attention, enhance their reading, writing and presentation skills and learn original theatre techniques to open their imaginations which helps them to see new possibilities and develop a vision of success for their future.



§ Why is this particular organization important to you?
§  I know from experience that the performing arts can have an extremely positive impact on the life of a child. I have been involved in the arts since my early childhood and truly believe that it has helped to shape the woman I am today. The work that ATW is doing in the lives of such a vulnerable population of children is remarkable. Not only are children exposed to the arts but they are provided tools to overcome their current circumstance of homelessness and achieve their full potential. Every child, no matter his or her socioeconomic background should have the opportunity and guidance necessary to achieve their dreams.

§ Tell us a success story from your organization.
§  Every year, ATW hosts a holiday party for the children participating in the Builders of the New World program. This year, the demand was so high that we had to host two parties in order to accommodate the growing number of children. To cover the increased cost, we launched a crowd-funding campaign via Indiegogo. We were able to raise enough money to host two parties for almost 100 children! Both celebrations began with a delicious family style dinner. Followed by an illuminating creative class taught by award winning actor, director and ATW's founder Thurman E. Scott. After the class, each child was presented with a special gift and encouraged to stand on our stage and share their dream for the future. All of the children walked away with their bellies full, a bright smile on their face and a memory I hope they will have forever.

§ How can we help?
§  Due to the growing number of children living below the poverty line, we are looking to expand our reach so that more children have the opportunity to participate in our life-changing program. To help, you can donate directly to our organization at <https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/ATWdonate> or help connect us to prospective donors by emailing me their contact information at smoultrie@actorstheatreworkshop.com. We are also constantly in need of more volunteers (both locally and virtually). You can email me for more information on how to become a volunteer.



1 comments:

 

Instagram: @thekentologist

Popular Posts